User Rating:  / 0
More on Fostoria 1905
From R/t Oct. 18, 2001
Article by Gene Kinn
Young Driver Tours City with his Friends.
    Lyman, the 10-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. M.M. Carr, made his debut as a chauffeur yesterday afternoon and is probably deserving of the title of the youngest driver in the city, if not the state.  He decided that he would like a ride and, going to the garage of the Atlas Safe Co., he told the attendant in charge that he wanted a car and was given one of the big Cadillacs.  The young attendant probably thought that Lyman had been sent, and would soon be joined, by his father.
    Finding that he could manipulate the car without difficulty, the young driver saw a little girlfriend and invited her to join him, which she did without hesitance.  Later a number of other little folks were taken in.
    The ride passed without incident until the outfit passed the home of Dr. R. W. Hale, where it was seen by the aunts of the driver, Mesdames Hale and Richards, who frantically called the parents.  The boys father started to the garage to see if he could get any trace of the party, but by then he found that the trip was over and he was able to breathe much easier,
    The car was run about the paved streets a number of times until the novelty wore off and it was then returned to the garage, as good as when it started and with no harm to the little folks.

From R/t October 4, 2001
Article by Gene Kinn
Treasury Department Orders Local Produced Product
    The Fostoria Incandescent Lamp company has succeeded in landing an order in which they may well take pride.  It is from the U.S. Treasury Department and is a year's supply for the post offices, custom houses etc.  Their annual consumption is over 100,000 lamps.
    This is one of the hardest orders to secure, as their specifications and tests are the very highest.  The landing of this order, with the other business at hand, makes it necessary for the plant to run night and day and makes room for quite a number of additional girls, if they can be secured.
Area's Early Rail Transportation
    The first passenger car to run north, over the T.F. & F. extension, went to Risingsun yesterday afternoon (Aug. 12, 1905) and carried about a dozen businessmen.  The trip was an impromptu one, no invitations being issued in advance.  The passengers were picked up as the car ran through town.
    Notwithstanding the lack of ballast, the trip was made without incident, the seven miles being covered in less than 30 minutes.
    On Monday, Aug. 14, 1905 the following news items appeared in the local paper,  The T. F. & F. sold 340 tickets between Fostoria and Risingsun yesterday, a somewhat remarkable business for the opening, especially as it was not announced that passengers would be carried until the afternoon papers came out on Saturday.
    The service will be continued regularly, leaving Fostoria on the odd hours from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.   It will be extended to Bradner as soon as the wire is up, which will be within the next few days.
    The first annual excursion of the C.C. Anderson Co. run to Cedar Point this morning proved too great a drawing card for the accommodations furnished.  The first section went through at nine o'clock and was so well filled with Findlay people that the majority of the Fostorians were left standing upon the platform.
    The regular train at 9:25 a.m. was provided with extra coaches to carry those who were waiting, but telephone advises stated that there were one hundred waiting at Kansas and three hundred or more at Fremont.  To accommodate as many of these as possible, box cars were equipped with the seats from the waiting rooms and were attached to the train.
    It is unfortunate that a misunderstanding accrued as to the number of cars needed as Mr. Anderson and his associates wished to furnish their employees of the two cities with every accommodation and make it a day to be remembered for a lifetime.
 Subject: More on Fostoria 1905
From R/t Sept. 20, 2001
Article by Gene Kinn
Potential Mugging Failed
    A young lady who shall be nameless turned off Wood street to college avenue, between 8 and 9 o'clock last night (July 11, 1905), on her way home from up street.  although there is a light on the corner, it is quite dark owing to there being a number of large shade trees.
    Just after turning the corner, a young man stepped out from one of the trees and saying, "Good evening dear," took hold of the left arm of the lady, who responded, "Good evening," and at the same time brought her right fist in contact with the nose and mouth of the masher,  with all the steam she could command of it.
    The man evidently lost all ambition, for the time being, to do any mashing as he disappeared as if the earth had opened up and swallowed him.
    The heroine of the affair does not have the appearance of an athlete, but the upper cut was delivered with the skill of an expert and was as effective as she could have wished.  If such experiences came with greater frequency, ladies would soon be able to be on the street at night without fear of being insulted.
Edward J. Cunninghan   
    At 10:15 a.m. (Aug.4, 1905), the death angel called the spirit of Edward J. Cunningham, and he quietly passed away at his home on North Main Street.
    Death was the result of consumption, superinduced by an attack of pneumonia, which he suffered last winter, and which caused his life to tremble in the balance for a considerable time
    Mr. Cunningham has long been recognized as one of Fostoria's most prominent and progressive citizens.  He was a miller by trade, having entered upon an apprenticeship when he was but 15 years of age.  This lasted until he had attained his majority.
    In 1853 he moved to Tiffin where he worked for a brother J. W. Cunningham, as a miller for two years.  In association with his brother, he built the Shoemaker mill and later they leased the Keller mills and through the destruction of this mill, by fire, he lost the greater part of his savings.   The brothers later built the Clinton mill at Tiffin.  After three years Edward sold out to his brother and removed to Fostora.
    Mr. Cunningham was associated with the late Hon. Charles Foster for many years, and in partnership with him, built the mill now known as the Buckeye Mill which, after four years was sold to William Grapes.
    In 1871, he became identified with the Fostoria Stave and Barrel works and three years later he and Mr. Foster purchased the Fostoria Spoke works.  That institution was located at Countyline and Center streets, but was destroyed by fire in 1889.  The factory was immediately rebuilt, but in another location on Findlay Street.  In 1892, the partnership was changed to a stock company under the name of the "The Cunningham Manufacturing Company."  This firm continued in existence until August of last year (1904), when the stock was bought by Earl Cunningham who has since conducted the business.   On the organization of the Commercial Bank & Savings, Mr. Cunningham was selected as president.
    Mr. Cunningham has been a Republican since the organization of that party, but has never been a seeker of public office.

Hosted by Noguska Computer Center Serving Fostoria's computer needs since 1973!