Centenial - page8

  • Print
User Rating:  / 0
1954 Centennial Book

Test Index
1 - 2
3 - 4
5 - 6
7 - 8
9 - 10
11 - 12
Page 8


The First Church of Christ Scientist was organized early in the century when the first lecture was given in the Andes Opera House in 1906, by Judge W.G. Ewing of Chicago. A new Reading Room was opened at 117 Sandusky Street in 1907. The present church home, a remodeled brick residence at the corner of Perry and High Streets was purchased in 1913, and has lately been redecorated.


The First Baptist Church, Fostoria's oldest Negro congregation, dates back to 1889, when it was organized with only twelve members.


The Bethel Evangelical United Brethren Church was organized in 1910, and purchased the building it now occupies, from the Apostolic Holiness Church. It was originally known as the Bethel Evangelical Church, until the merging of the Evangelical and United Brethren Churches.


Fostoria's newest church building, the home of the Bethel Baptist Church, at the corner of Jackson and Lynn Streets, is one of the most beautiful churches in the city.


The Church of the Nazarene was organized less than twenty years ago, with a membership of seventeen, but has grown so rapidly that the present church on the corner of Caples and Park Streets, has already been outgrown, and the congregation is beginning work on a new and much larger building on Sandusky Street.


The Fostoria Baptist Church was first organized in 1889, and for several years worshiped in the building originally built by and used by the First Presbyterian Church on West Fremont Street. In 1911, the present church at Wood and Fourth Streets was erected. It has been remodeled since.


The first meetings of the Trinity Episcopal Church were held in the Foster Block in 1884. In 1888, the congregation built the structure at the corner of Wood and South Streets, but it had to be removed to make way for the Midtown underpass. The site of the old John B. Rogers home, Union and West Tiffin Streets was secured and the present modest church was erected recently.

Other Fostoria Churches whose histories have been comparatively short but, which occupy an important place in the spiritual life of the community are:

       Assembly of God, 671 Lynn St.
The Church of God, Allen St.
The Church of God, 804 S. Poplar St.
The Foursquare Church, Lytle and Wood Sts.
Trinity United Brethren, Thomas St.
House of Prayer, 116 2 W. North St.
Pilgrim Holiness Church, 201 W. Crocker St.
St. Paul F.B.H. Church, 520 E. Jackson St.
Bible Deliverance Tabernacle, 439 Columbus Ave.






Rural churches nearby are:

       St. John's Evangelical and Reformed, New Riegel Rd.
Pleasant View, E.U.B.
Rehoboth M.E.



PIX#24 The Trinity Episcopal Church

PIX#25 The Bethel Baptist Church

PIX#26 The First Evangelical United Brethren Church

PIX#27 The Fraker Memorial United Brethren Church

PIX#28 The First Church of Christ, Scientist


David "King" Purnell, founder of the House of David in Benton Harbor, Michigan, had a brief and not very noteworthy interlude in Fostoria just prior to his entering upon his kingdon. He had been living a rather, vagabondish, ne'er-do-well sort of life, when he drifted into Fostoria, about 1901. A nearby farmer had given him shelter for a year and then a Fostoria truck farmer, Silas Mooney, provided shelter for another year or more. During this time, the "King" lived at what is now 727 N. Countyline Street. Mr. Mooney and his wife became devoted followers, and stuck by him the rest of their lives. Here, King Ben began to compose his first and most fundamental sacred writing,"Star of Bethlehem". In 1902, it was published in Ashland, although it has been asserted that it was published in Fostoria. It was financed by a gift of $1,200.00 furnished by Ben Pelton. It was at this time that tragedy struck. His daughter, Hettie, aged sixteen, was among the victims of the explosion and fire of the Torpedo Works, which took place in February 1903. It was her first day of work. Absolute proof of her disobedience to the faith, he and his wife refused to have anything to do with her remains, and she had to be given Christian burial by considerate townsfolk, whose liking for this strange sect in their midst was not increased by this exhibition of parental inhumanity. However, Ben and his wife, Mary, left Fostoria a month later to go to Benton Harbor, to establish the strange sect which is known as the House of David. Ben lived another quarter of a century, finally dying in jail, only a few weeks after the Michigan authorities had declared his kingdom a public nuisance.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Information courtesy of Joan Fleming