Order of the Eastern Star
Order of the Eastern Star
District No. 5, Grand Chapter of Ohio
Order of the Eastern Star
Fostoria Chapter #94
1898 — March 22nd our Chapter was instituted by Findlay Chapter. There were 31 charter members initiated. The first worthy matron was Rose Bell and the worthy patron was Frank Robbins. On October 14th our charter was granted. Two meetings were held each month in the Mickey Block located on S. Main Street.
1902 — Our first deputy grand matron of District 8 was Myra Ghaster.
1903 — The Masonic Lodge moved to the 3rd floor of the Foster Block.
1904 — Myra Ghaster was appointed Grand Ruth.
1906 — Julia Robinson was appointed Grand Representative to Indiana.
1909 — Loa Brant was appointed Deputy Grand Matron of District 8.
1910 — Maude Hess was appointed Grand Representative to Tennessee.
1913 — Building began for the Masonic Temple at our present location on E. Tiffin Street. At the ceremony held to lay the cornerstone, there were 750 Masons present of which 250 were Fostoria members. It was estimated there were 5000 total present. For the next two years many projects were done to help furnish the new Temple. A new coffee urn was purchased by collecting 3500 coffee labels. A contract was accepted to paint the parlor and hall for $35.00. Mahogany furniture for the parlor was purchased at Fostoria's Carr Furniture Store at a cost of $185.50. During this time a rapid membership growth, installations were held immediately following balloting.
1915 — Meeting times were changed from two times a month to one. The Chapter often opened and closed with no business being contracted. Our Chapter shared the cost of a new piano purchased for the Temple.
1918 — It was wartime - many "thimble parties" were held. Red Cross knitting projects were on-going. Maude Hess was appointed "Custodian of Socks" to oversee the knitting being done by the ladies. Many reported to the Red Cross sewing rooms each Tuesday afternoon to help in the war efforts. Liberty Bonds were purchased and the Chapter members were listed in the American Patriots Council. Maude Hess was sent to the Grand Chapter in Columbus on recommendation of a Past Grand Patron of Ohio to arrange the display of Red Cross work donated by the various chapters throughout the state.
1919 — The Chapter helped sell tags and doughnuts for the Salvation Army - $53.61 was collected. In August a special meeting was called for the purpose of initiating 35 candidates into the Order.
1920 — The Chapter voted not to take part in District Day this year.
1922 — Maude Hess was elected Deputy Grand Matron of District 5.
1923 — To celebrate our 25th anniversary, the Chapter voted to give the Temple Co. $500. to be applied to the property mortgage. Chapter showers were held to replnish kitchen supplies.
1924 — Fostoria hosted its first District Day with Maude Hess, DGM, presiding.
1925 — Our Chapter began presenting bibles to new members at the time of initiation. Zoa Dicken was appointed Grand Representative to Louisiana.
1926 — A beautifun clock was donated to the Temple by O.C.Harding, a local jeweler who was a Mason. This clock still stands in the parlor entrance way. Mr. Harding also donated the OES jewel fasteners for our emblems.
1927 — The Fostoria Masonic Temple was dedicated in October.
1930 — During this year, platforms were made and chairs purchased for the associate Patron's station. A St. Patrick's Day party was held and reported to be a very gala affair. Jams and jellies were sent to the Masonic Home for Grand Inspection. A new stove was purchased for the kitchen.
1931 — It was voted to send books and flowers to ill members.
1932 — Jessie Peck became Deputy Grand Matron for District 5. This year our Chapter changed from District 8 to District 5.
1933 — It was voted to charge 35 cents each for plate dinners served by the Chapter.
1934 — Jessie Peck was appointed Grand Warder for Ohio.
1935 — Jessie Peck was elected Associate Grand Conductress. The Chapter voted to raise the cost of dinners to 50 cents each because of the many Grand Inspections and receptions held in honor of our Fostoria Grand Chapter members.
1936 — Jessie Peck was elected Grand Conductress.
1937 — Jessie Peck was elected Associate Grand Matron. Louise Hamilton, WGM, had a traveling gavel that was used by each worthy matron in the district for one of her meetings during the year.
1938 — Jessie Peck was elected Worthy Grand Matron. A Grand Inspection was held at Fostoria's Masonic Temple in her honor with an attendance of 535 members.
1939 — Grace Miller was appointed Grand Representative to Virginia.
1942 — Wartime again. The Worthy Grand Matron urged each Chapter to purchase Defense Bonds and volunteer for the Red Cross. The Chapter totaled 7125 hours donated to Red Cross work. Our Chapter earned a "Merit of Excellence" by the Worthy Grand Matron.
1943 — Members were asked to bring small amounts of sugar for the kitchen because sugar was under wartime ration. A formal spring party and dance was planned. The Chapter was considering instituting Job's Daughters or Rainbow Girls.
1945 — Alice Hitchcock retired after serving 26 years as the Chapter's secretary and was given a special party. A donation of $50 was given to the Red Cross to help their war efforts.
1946 — The Chapter held its first pie social.
1947 — Betty Porter was appointed Deputy Grand Matron.
1948 — Our Chapter celebrated its golden anniversary. Esther Chance gave highlights of the first 50 years. Mildred Miller, WM, lead the Chapter in organizing the Bethel Job's Daughters. The Chapter voted to pay for their charter and furnish robes.
1949 — The Chapter voted on a motion made by Betty Porter to purchase grave markers for our deceased members.
1951 — For the first time in many years the Chapter held a memorial service for our departed members A single rose represented each deceased member.
1954 — During this year, bake sales were held along with rummage sales. Tax stamps were collected as a money maker. Newly purchased paraphernalia was dedicated.
1956 — Lillian Heinze was our Deputy Grand Matron. District Day was held in Republic and the weatherman dumped a lot of snow that day to hamper the affair.
1957 — An organ fund was established to purchase a new one when enough money was collected.
1958 — During Grand Inspection this year, a new law came into effect making budgets for each Chapter mandatory.
1959 — This was a very busy year for Gladys Guilinger, WM. There were many petitions to be voted on and initiatory work was held almost every meeting.
1960 — The past matrons and past patrons presented a gift of two complete silver coffee service to the Chapter for use at our formal occasions.
1961 — New robes were purchased for Job's Daughters.
1963 — Blanche LeComte, our new district president, held District Day at Fostoria. The officers presented a new 50 star flag to the Chapter.
1964 — The new worthy grand matron decreed that a prayer be said at the end of each meeting before the Chapter entered the dining room.
1966 — New star point chairs were purchased for the Chapter. Also purchased by the past matrons and patrons and presented to the Chapter was a silver serving plate.
1968 — Barbara Warner was chosen Deputy Grand Matron of District 5 for the ensuing year. Worthy Grand Matron Helen Barkley presented Past Grand Matron Jessie Peck a 50 year pin.
1970 — After saving in a special fund since 1957, a new organ was purchased.
1971 — The first Tomato Festival was held in Fostoria and the Chapter participated in the parade by entering a float.
1972 — Zenith Hanover was presented a 50 year membership pin. A new alter, pedestals, and podium was purchased to replace the old ones. Also during the year, Lauretta Smith prepared a booklet celebrating the Chapter's 75th anniversary.
1977 — Monies from a project fund was used to purchase new dishes from the Fostoria Star Glass Co. This same year, Jessie Peck was given a life membership to our Chapter.
1978 — Esther Johnson was appointed Grand Page to the Deputy Grand Matron of District 5. Dallas Dauterman was appointed Grand Aide.
1979 — Marie Weaver was appointed Deputy Grand Matron for the ensuing year.
1980 — Rachel Baker was elected District 5 treasurer.
1981 — Rachel Baker resigned her District 5 office due to ill health. Ethel Earl was elected to replace her. Money was donated to the Temple toward the purchase of a new floor covering for the kitchen.
1982 — Fostoria had its first open installation. Agnes Jenks was worthy matron and Ray Earl was worthy patron. Ray Earl was appointed ESTARL Representative for District 5 and also served as Grand Aide to Ruth Reisch, DGM.
1983 — New traveling jewels were purchased for the worthy matron and patron. A donation of $500 was made to the Fostoria Masonic Endowment Fund.
1984 — Our Chapter hosted District Day under the direction of Ethel Earl, District President. At that time it was announced that Ethel Earl had been appointed Grand Represent- ative of Minnesota. During the year a new freezer, coffee maker and a microwave was purchased for the kitchen. OES served a record 1000 dinners.
1985 — The Chapter purchased ceiling fans for the dining room and kitchen. Vertical blinds were also purchased for the kitchen windows.
1986 — Richard Byerly was appointed Grand Aide to Wanda Ramsey, DGM. Our Chapter donated $1000 toward the purchase of a much needed exhaust system for the kitchen. It was decided that the Chapter would purchase and give to each "shut-in" member a poinsettia at Christmas time and to make it a yearly occasion.
1987 — Richard Byerly, Betty Byerly and Vicki Echelbarger prepared an article for the Commemorative book to be published for the 100th anniversary of OES of Ohio. A life membership was presented to Mary jane Smith, the Chapter organist, who had never missed a meeting or a practice in 30 years.
1989 — Donna Dieter ws appointed Heart Representative of District 5 for the ensuing year.
1990 — The Chapter donated $200 toward replacing the shrubbery in front of the Temple.
1991 — It was decided to start an elevator fund because some of our members were finding it difficult to attend meetings held on the upper floor. The Chapter voted to donate $500 to match funds donated by the Commandry Ladies to "kick off" the fund. Those who served on the Elevator Project Committee were Jeffery Floriana, Chairman; Joan Fleming, Treasurer; Walter Boas; Donna Dieter; Ray Earl; Kenneth Matz; and Anna Perkey. Bazaars, garage sales, cookie sales, fund raiser dinners, and several sunshine collections were donated as well as personal donations made. This was a formidable endeavor with much hard work and giving of many personal manhours of labor to bring to fruition the completed project of an installed elevator and handicap ramp.
1992 — Joan Fleming was appointed ESTARL Representative of District 5 for the ensuing year. Vertical blinds were purchased for the dining room.
1993 — On January 15th of this year, the installation of our elevator was completed. Anna Perkey was appointed Deputy Grand Matron of District 5.
1997 — Mary Funk was elected District 5 Treasurer. Claude Funk was appointed OES Home Representative.
1998 — In honor of our 100th year celebration we visited our OES members residing in assisted living homes at St. Catherine's, Good Shepherd, and Independence House in Fostoria to give them a birthday party complete with balloons and goodies. During this year we will present a 25 year pin to Walter Bemesderfer and Norman Snyder; and a 50 year pin to Ruby Essman and Pauline Holtz. Box lunches were prepared by the members and auctioned off at refreshment time as a remembrance of "days gone by". The money raised will be used for our September celebration. On September 23rd we will be honored by a visitation from Worthy Grand Matron Eloise Wyse and Worthy Grand Patron Richard Wilson as well as Deputy Grand Matron Karen Miller who will help us celebrate our 100th year birthday.
2000--Arlene Boas appointed Grand Representative of Wyoming in Ohio for a two year term at the January School of Instruction. Also, Vickie Echelbarger appointed as Youth Representative for District 5.
Other Notes of Interest
In our first year there were 15 new members initiated who joined with our 31 charter members to bring our total to 46.
In 1923 (25 years) our membership had grown to 368.
In 1948 (50 years) our membership had grown to 394.
In 1973 (75 years) our membership had grown to 411.
In 1998 (100 years) our membership has fallen to 220.
In 1960 our books recorded a peak membership of 507.
Meetings were held on first and third Wednesday at 7:30P
Worthy Matron . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Anna Perkey
Pages, Prompters, Protems
Mary Funk - Winifred Carnicom - Anabel Roberts - Candace Floriana - Sherida Snavely - Ray Earl - Mark Perkey PREFACE
This book is dedicated to all those Brothers and Sisters who have passed before us and gave us a legacy to live by through an organization that is founded on love, truth and helping one another.
This goal is still with us today and we should ever strive to live by these ideals, making them our own as an organization and as an individual. .....So may it ever be. By Joan Fleming
Historical Research Committee
Anna Perkey and Earl Perkey, Co-Chairman