User Rating:  / 0

More on Fostoria 2003

Six Kramb Brothers Honored
(Veterans of U.S. armed services)
From Fostoira Focus Oct. 26, 2003
Article by John Montgomery

Carl Kramb can remember the day he and about 15 others left Fostoria on a bus to join the Navy during World War ll in late Octover 1943.
As he boarded the bus at the Center Street Restaurant, he heard a parade forming around the corner. Kramb thought people in town were getting together for a send off for the group, but he was mistaken.
"I thought it was for me and the other guys" he said "We found out later it was the Halloween Parade."
Now nearly 60 years later, his mistake will become reality.
Sunday, Oct.26, 2003 Kramb and his brothers, all veterans, will be the special guests at the town's
annual Halloween Parade, sponsored by Fostoria Focus and WFOB 1430, when it steps off down Main Street at 5 p.m.
"It's quite an honor, and I'm real pleased that whoever is sponsoring the parade, is reconizing veterans," Ed said. I think that's great.
"I feel honored to be involved, but I think it's great that the parade is honoring all the veteran." he said.
Five of the six Krambs --- Bill, Carl, Walt, Ed and Tom --- will take part in the parade. Bob, the oldest passed away in the mid 1980's
Bob, Bill, Carl and Walt all served during World War ll while Ed and Tom served during the Korean War.
Tom said he can remember his Mom, Anna, being upset when Bob becarme the first to leave home. But he said she and their father, Lewis, were very proud of their sons.
"I do remember when I was still in school that the front window (in the home) down there on College Avenue had four stars. Mom and dad were both very proud of that," he said .
"Dad, worked at the Carbon, and they tell me he was very proud of his sons in the service." he said.
That service began when the Army drafted Bob in February 1942, and turned the 1936 St. Wendelin High graduate into a tank sergeant and forward observer for the 69th artillery Battalion of the 3rd Armored Division.
He was wounded by shrapnel in the Battle of Mons in the fall of 1944 and received the Purple Heard. Bob rejoined his unit just after Christmas that year and saw action in the counterattack of the Battle of the Bulge.
He was in the fourth tank to enter Cologne.
Bob returned home in the late summer of 1945 and he and his wife Elloise, rasied five children and saw the birth of several grandchildren.
Bob also held several jobs, including a partnership in the B&B Cafe in Bettsville. He contracted polio in 1956 and sold his part of the cafe and later went to work for a credit union in Fremont.
He died in the Mid-1980's
Bill, the valedictorian of the St. Wendelin High class of 1941, followed his older brother into the service in late 1942.
He became a pilot and first lieutenant for the Army Air Corps in the South Pacific and flew C46's and C47's to transport troops and supplies.
He served with the 433rd Troop Carrier Group in the 69th Squardron and saw action in New Guinea , the Philippines, Iwo Jima and Japan.
Bill returned home in early 1946, went to college for a couple of years and began a career at Excello.
He and his wife, Maxine, married in 1949. They raised seven children and have 21 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. He retired from Excello in 1986.
Carl admits he was sort of the black sheep of the family. An Army draftee like many others, he went to Toledo for his physical, where physicals for the other branches of the armed services were also being held. "That's when thing's got switched."
"When you got to a certain point, they asked you, What do you want to be in?" And I said. "Well I guess it doesnt' make any difference what the heck I want to be in." Carl said.
He was told that they needed people in each branch. So he responded. "I guess the Navy will be all right."
The 1942 SWHS graduate joined the Navy in 1943 and became a plank owner of a troop transport ship USS Gen. M.L. Hersey. A plank owner is a seaman who is part of the original crew of a new ship.
He was assigned to the ship in January 1944 as a radioman second class, but had to wait until that July before the ship ws completed and commissioned. He and others on the ship spent "World War ll transporting troops back and forth across the Pacific.
Carl was discharged in April 1946 and went to college at Xavier for a few years before joining the workforce at Atlas. He retired from Atlas in 1983.
He and his wife, Jeannie who he met at Xavier, raised eight children before she passed away. They also have 15 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Walt, a 1944 SWHS graduate, served as a radioman in the Army Air Corps from February 1944-August 1946.
In fact, he was such a good radioman, that the Army Air Corps turned him into a instructor and he spent his entire tour of duty in the United States.
After earning his discharge, he went to work for the Fruth Machine & Tool for a while before working 25 years for the Post Office and retiring in 1986.
He married twice. His first wife, Joan, passed away after 46 years of marriage. His second wife's name is Jenny. Walt has five children and he and Jenny have a combined 30 grandchildren. 16 of which are his.
Ed, who graduated from SWHS in 1949, attained the rank fo first sergeant in the Army, serving from February 1951 - February 1954.
As a section leader in a mechine gun platoon of Dog Co. in the 32st Infantry Regiment of the 7th Infantry Division, he saw fronline acton in Korea for a little over nine months and took part in the Battle of Pork Chop Hill and the Battle of Old Baldy.
Among his hornors for his service, Ed received the Bronze Star.
When he returned home, he took advantage of the G.I. Bill and earned a degree in electrical engineering from the University of Detroit.
Ed. and his wife, Evelyn raised six children and have 12 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
He retired in 1993 after 34 years of working in the electrical industry in Cincinnati. He has since turned his attention to history and writing, and recently published the book "Buckeye Battlefields' about military conflicts that took plave in Ohio.
Tom, the youngest of the Kramb bunch, graduated from St. Wendelin High in 1950.
In 1952, he left his job at Union Carbine and went into the Army in 1952 and was sent to Korea as part of the Army medical corps in April 1953.
There, the corporal was part of the 37th Preventative Medical Co. of the 8th Army, attached to the 7th Division.
A lot of his duties involved helping fellow soldiers deal with mosquitoes and a type of mite that caused hemorrhagic fever.
He was discharged from the Army in September 1954 and worked at Union Carbide until he retired in 1988.
Tom married his wife, Carrie, in 1956. they raised three children and have four grandchildren.

History of the Black Cat Restaurant
"The place to take your best girl !"
From R/t Oct 23, 2003
Article impart by Gene Kinn.

The Black Cat is Fostoria's oldest eating establishment and is the only full-service bar and restaurant within the city. It was originally opened in 1928 by Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Burkhart, and their son, Cecil. Then it was a small barbecue stand. It had carhops, severed milkshakes, and sold gas.

Following the repeal of prohibition in 1933, the first license for the sale of 3.2 beer in Fostoria was granted to the Black Cat.

The business was closed in 1943 when Cecil entered the armed forces and his parents retired. Following the war, Cecil and his wife, Helen opened the Hays Bar in downtown Fostoria and operated it until 1950 when they reopened the Black Cat.

The facility was later sold to Orville and Zip Twining. They divorced and Zip continued to operate the restaurant. Following her death ownership passed to Sip Orians, long-time Black Cat bartender, as stipulated in Zip's will. After several years, Orians sold to Jim McDermott. Later a group, including Terry Swartzwelder and Bruce Theobald, Jr. purchased the facility.

Leah Hipsher bought the Black Cat in 1981 and operated it for nearly 18 years, later in 1998 turned the operation over to her son, Ron.

Earlier this month (Oct. 2003), Hipsher completed and extensive renovation of the dinning area, The re-do includes new wooden dividers, new tabletops and booths, new carpet and paint. A gas-burning fireplace and new ceiling fans. "We wanted to brighten it up and bring it more up to date." he said.

State legislation could quiet Fostoria's trains
From;Tiffin Advertiser-Tribune
Sept. 19, 2003

FOSTORIA - The city soon may have safer rail crossings - without train whistles - if State Rep. Jeff Wagner can add Fostoria to a pending bill.

At a recent city council meeting, Wagner (R-Melmore) and Mayor John Davoli offered an update on the proposed quite zone legislation that would eliminate the day and night train whistles.
Davoli says he gets calls on train whistles more than any other complaint from city residents. The city has 23 grade crossings accommodating 200 trains each day. He said he believes that as "Train City USA," Fostoria qualifies as the perfect test project for this legislation. He vowed to "keep on making noise" until this legislation is passed.

For over one and half years, U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Cleveland) and the Ad hoc Committee on Quiet Zones have been working on the quite zone legislation which would cover several cities in the 10th Congressional District (Brooklyn, Brooke Park, Berea, Olmstead Falls and Olmstead Township.)

These cities were selected as pilot projects to test the feasibility of quite zones and ascertain the safety criteria. Davoli said at first it was thought to cost almost $350,000 to update each railway crossing, but new information now shows there are other ways to develop safer crossings without whistles that wouldn't cost as much.

From R/t Aug. 12, 2003
Article by Gene Kinn

Cline wins Two Gold Medals

Fostoria-area resident Dan Cline recently won two gold medals in table tennis at the Ohio Senior Olympics in Hudson Ohio.

Cline won his division (50-54 year olds) by defeating Jimmy Taylor of Akron in straight sets. He then partnered with Paul Lawrence of Lima to win the doubles medal. They defeated Rich Takas of Toledo and Jim Mills of Indiana in straight sets.

Cline, 50 was participating in his first Senior Olympic competition. He won the privilege of playing in the state tournament by winning the regional competition at Lima

Some Ball History in Fostoria as I know it.
By William "Bill" Cline

How Meadowlark park came into being.
To get the whole picture of the events that took place as to how and why Meadowlark Park was purchased and built one must go back some 50 years to what was then the only decent playing ball field in Fostoria, the Wire Mill Field, which was located North of the B & O tracks (now called CSX) and East of Vine Street.

For many years this field provided entertainment for Fostoria ball fans, whether it be baseball or fast pitch soft ball. Slow pitch was not popular at this early time. The field was small and for years had no fences or lights. Fans would park their cars behind left field just off Vine St. and the bigger the attendance the smaller left field became. Many of the hits in that direction became home runs or triples while the left fielder retrieved the ball from under or between cars. Eventually through the efforts of several citizens. "Red" French, & J.D. Lyons as I recall, and a few other concerned citizens, collected money and material so a fence and even lights for night ball could be installed. Down the right field line and to the alley was 150 feet, plus or minus 10 feet. In this area there were many balls hit over the alley and into the gardens that residents along West Tiffin Street had planted making for some unhappy citizens. Many times when baseball games were played here there were windows broken in the homes on Tiffin Street, some of the heavy hitters would clear the homes on the South Side of Tiffin Street, of course they were home runs. That was then.

I can recall attending games at the Wire Mill field in the mid 1930's when fast pitch softball was popular. On Sundays baseball games were played here. Over the years when this was the only decent playing field in Fostoria many teams played here until 1951 when Wire Mill reclaimed their field for needed employee parking . Some of the teams I recall playing here, were: Peggs Paint a local traveling team, and teams from Wire Mill., Autolite Foundry, Autolite Sparkplug, Moose, American Legion, Bersterd Mfg. VFW, Superette, Miller Drug, Edison Drug, K of C, YMCA, Carbon Works, Fostoria Screw Co., Some teams from City Park Recreation, Area Village Teams, and many Church teams,

Wire Mill Field Lost.

After the 1951 season with the hiring of more employees for the increase production at the Wire Mill it became necessary for the plant to recover the field in order for the employees to park their cars; this left Fostoria without a ball field for some years. The Softball Association at this time had some $400 in their treasurer, but no ball field. In 1952 a group of ballplayers from Fostoria that had played with a traveling team, Peggs Paints , and now sponsored by Stahls Texaco, of Wayne Ohio were playing in Findlay as a host team, playing the feature games on Wed. and Sunday nights, taking on all opponents in the area, plus any traveling team, this team along with Knights of Columbus and Fostoria Merchants comes to mind, decided it was time to bring fast pitch softball back to Fostoria.

Field Found

When the underpasses were built in Fostoria, some of the unwanted material was dumped on a property own by Payne Brothers Green House at the end of Banister St. This property was offered to the organization, on lease for a $1.00, a year if they wanted to build a field. Looking back at this property with all the old broken up sidewalks and other material that was moved here, one wonders if this was a good site to build a ball field. Another minus would be a Greenhouse behind center field fence if the field was laid out having the sun behind the batters back. Payne Brothers (Bless their Souls) not only offered to repair free any broken glass that occurred while playing ball here, plus they would give the batter $1.00 for his effort. The organization decided to build.

Donations from Local Merchants, Industries, Ohio Power Co. Dick Danner, and with Payne Brothers equipment and gasoline for it, construction began. The light poles, underground cable, concession stand and bleachers, from the old Wire Mill Field were moved to the new Payne Field, all by volunteers. (Fostoria Heating and Pluming is located here now)

In 1954 fast pitch softball was back in Fostoria, and opening night featured a game between the Findlay Moose, the Findlay league leader, and Stahl’s Texaco a Traveling Team, later called "Dick's T.V". Mr. Stahl who was sponsoring the Stahl's Texaco traveling team, believe that a local sponsor was appropriate since Fostoria now had a ball field.. Dick Danner had been waiting for this opportunity.

How City Recreation became Involved

Early in the 1950's slow pitch softball came into play, as an old man's game. At that time there was an age limit, you had to be over 30 years of age. However the lack of quality fast ball pitchers, in the area prompted the younger players to find sponsors and form Slow Pitch teams, with no age limited. At this time almost any player could pitch. Slow pitch teams exploded in Fostoria, City Recreation, YMCA, Churches, Industries, Merchants some ladies teams, plus little League baseball . The request for lighted Payne Field was in great demand.

The fast pitch league was using the field Tuesdays through Thursdays, The rest of the time was open to the public. However, a mater of who would pay for the lights when used came into play? The softball association was paying for lights and umpires via donation taken at the games, (Umpires were paid $2.00 for the bases, an $3.00 behind the plate) and from the concession stand profits. At that time it cost an average of $15.00 a night with a curfew that no inning would start after 11:00 p.m. The City was asked to pay for all the electric used on the field, as city recreation was using it along with other organized local teams on the nights fast pitch was not scheduled. City Council approved it.

According to one source, at one time there were many teams (approx. 60) playing in Fostoria on any open field that would accommodate four bases, and an outfield. Fostoria needed a park with more playing fields

Farm Bought for Meadowlark Park

Some ground became available at the south edge of Fostoria (seeking more information on this. In early 50's Fred Wilch was city recreation director.

By William "Bill" Cline
(Past President of Fostoria
Fastpitch Softball Association)


Farm Bought for Meadowlark Park
Below part of R/t Gene Kinn article
July 25th 2003

In July of 1953, the city purchased the W.J. Sheely farm, an 82 1/2 acre spread in Loudon Township, just south of the city, at a cost of $50,000. Much of the land was rented out to an area farmer until the entire facility could be developed. A contest was conducted in 1965 to name the new park and Mary Bugner was declared the winner with her suggestion of Meadowlark Park. Actually, of the 196 entries, there were two other Meadowlark offerings, but Mary's was postmarked first.

A planning study was completed in 1964 calling for a lighted softball field, lighted baseball field, six Little league ball fields, a swimming pool, four tennis courts, two basketball courts, three badminton or paddle tennis courts, a children's playground, amphitheater, flower gardens a lagoon for boating, fishing and ice skating 12 shelters, picnic areas, camping area and a nine hole golf course.

In 1983, then President of Council, Barbara Marley referred to the public affairs committee a request to rename the facility Schlatter Park in honor of two local brothers, Lt. Gen. David Schlatter and Brig. Gen. George Schlatter. The committee decided not to change the name.

More recently (2003), Councilpeson, Arlen Lowery has suggested changing the name to John Jacobs Field in honor of a local resident who has spent countless hours at the park over many years.

2 of Areas Finest Softball Pitchers Fondly Remembered
From R/t July 19, 2003
(Article by Gene Kinn)
    Two area fast pitch softball pitchers made their marks in the 1940's and 1950's.  Both died within the past several years.
    Richard H."Rip" Riley Sr. was born in 1924 in Wayne.  He began playing softball because the small Wood County high school wasn't big enough to field a baseball team.
    His softball career record included nearly 1,500 wins and approximately 300 losses with nearly 200 of the victories being no hitters.  A veteran of the army during World War ll, he played and pitched in the European softball finals, Later, while playing in Colorado his team won three national championships, in 1950, 1951 and 1952.  "Rip" was selected to the All World First Team and was named Most Valuable Player in each of those three years.  In 1950 the 6-foot five 205-pounder was ranked No. 4 in the world at a time when softball players were rated.
    "Rip" remembered Northwest Ohio as a softball Mecca in the '40's and 50's.  He played with the Ansberg-West Mortuary club and the Schmidt Beer club of Toledo.  At one time, when he was 18, Riley pitched for six different teams.  In 1956, he pitched for the Dick's TV State Tourney Team of Fostoria.
    "Rip" and his son, Dick Riley Jr. are in the Ohio Softball Hall of Fame, one of only two such duos to achieve that high honor.
    From all that pitching, "Rip's" right arm was an inch and three-quarters larger in circumference and no wonder..he used to warm up from second base.  One of his catchers used to put a steak inside his mitt in hopes that the added padding would take the sting out of "Rips" fastball, which was clocked at 104 miles per hour.  That fastball resulted in an average of 17 strikeouts a game.
    At age 12 Dick Jr. stepped into the spikes of his father and became a softball "slugger."  He ended up making 10 championship tournament appearances and received All-American honors three times over.  He retired from the game in the early 1990's.
    In later years, "Rip" worked at the Faultless Rubber Company in Ashland O.  including eight yeas as it's business manager.  While there, he was named president of the Ashland Umpire Association from 1966 to 1970.
    Richard H. "Rip" Riley died Feb. 18, 2002.
Peter "Big Pete" DiCesare Sr.
    Peter "Big Pete" DiCesare Sr. was born in Fostoria May 15, 1924.  When he was seven, he fell from a cherry tree and suffered a compound fracture in his right arm.  It had to be reset a few days later.  This resulted in a crooked right arm that was six inches shorter than his left.  After the injury, he carried a tennis ball which he would squeeze constantly.  He also played with a rubber ball on a string.  He admitted that his special advantage in pitching fastball softball was his strong delivery due to the crooked arm.
    Pete attended St. Wendelin Schools and was a World War ll army veteran, receiving the Juvbilee of Liberty Medal from France.  He was affiliated with the Fostoria Knights of Columbus and was a long-time pitcher for their club team. He began his pitching career at the age of 13 playing for the West End Wildcats at City Park.
    In one year, he pitched seven straight games without giving up a base on balls.  He also chucked a perfect game for the Knights, whipping the Wayne Merchants 4-0 at Payne field. He allowed only two fly balls to be hit to the outfield.  It was his fourth perfect game.
    During his 23-year career, the 6-foot, 245 pounder, pitched more than 800 games, winning 536 and losing 274. He pitched 45 no-hitters. His catcher for at least five of those years was Robert "Bob" Bradner.
    Pete retired from the game in 1960, at the age of 36.  At one time, in 1947, he debated trying out with a /Cleveland professional softball team or remaining in the show repair trade.  he opted for the shoe business, where he remainded for the rest of his life.  
Pete "Big Pete" DiCesare Sr. died April 13, 2000 
    Charlie Macias, Bill Cline and Jim Shumaker provided much of this historical information on two of the area's finest sport's figures.

Fostoira 2003

Candyland Restaurant History
From Review/times April 1, 2003
(Article by Gene Kinn)
    The "For Sale" sign is up at the Candyland Restaurant, 224 N. Main St.   It may well continue to operate as a restaurant, under new ownership.  It may even retain the name, but in any case, another era will have ended in downtown Fostoria.
    Steven Stavoroplulus, a Greek immigrant, established the Fostoria Candy Works at 110 N Main St., Now a part of the J. Miller store.  Stavoropulus continued to own and operate the Candy Shop until 1923 when it was sold to J. Pavlakos, James Pappas and Nicholos Lekras.  The business continued under those three gentlemen, at that same location, until 1929. The partners later opened a second store at 124 S. Main St. under the name of Candyland.   The South Main location was supplied with ice cream and other delicacies produced at the North Main Street store.
    In August of 1929, the Fostoria Candy Works was badly damaged during construction of the new S.S. Kresge Store on the corner of Main and Center street, (The old Ohio Savings & Loan building) and it was impossible to continue business there.  At that time, the partnership was dissolved.   Lekas moved to Detroit, Pavlakos moved to California, and James Pappas became the sole owner of Candyland.  In 1938, he moved the business to the present location (224 N. Main St.)
    James "Jim" Pappas retired in 1958 and turned the operation over to his son George and his wife, Mary.  They operated the restaurant until the late 1990's having expanded into the two buildings north of the original one.  ( in earlier times was Railroad depot.)   George then retired and his daughter Cleo Custer assumed the management of the facility.  Mary continued to assist with the cooking. 
    Mary is the Daughter of the late Mike Brown, known for many years as "Fostoria's Shoe Man."

Local Lifesaver Honored
From R/t Jan. 16, 2003
Warren Overly
   Received Lifetime Achievement Award from Fostoria Chapter Red Cross 
    The Fostoria Chapter of the American Red Cross recently honored a local man with a Lifetime Achievement Award for his blood donations totaling more than 28 gallons
    Warren Overly, who died at the age of 76 on Dec. 18 2002 helped save more than 150 lives with his donation beginning in the 1950s according to Judy Shoemaker executive director of the local chapter.
    Shoemaker presented the award to Overly's wife, Della this week during the bloodmobile at High Street United Methodist Church
    "He was so proud of (giving blood),"  Della said.  " He went all over for it." she said, mentioning that Warren would call the Red Cross to find out where a bloodmobile was being conducted every 56 days the required time between donations.  In addition to Fostoria, he'd given blood in locations including Findlay, Tiffin Toledo, Wapakoneta and even In Florida.
    "And he did (call) like clockwork." said Shoemaker, noting that Overly is the first recipient she's heard of to receive a Life time Achievement Award from the Fostoria chapter.  He was among the top 32 givers among about 150,000 across Northwest Ohio,  she said.
    "He was dedicated, that's for sure,"  Della said with a smile.  "He helped a lot of people."

History making Buckeye Football  14-0
National Champs 2002
 TEMPE, Ariz. Jan 4th -- It was an extraordinary ending to an extraordinary season.
    After all the close calls Ohio State survived this season, it was only fitting that the national championship game was settled in double overtime.
    And just like the 13 previous contests, the Buckeyes came out victorious, knocking off the previously top-ranked Miami Hurricanes 31-24 to claim their first national championship in 34 years.
    One has to wonder if coach Jim Tressel had his trophy acceptance speech pre-planned, but his post-game comments after ending the Hurricane's 34-game winning streak were perfect for the occasion.
    "We are so proud of these young men -- these 13 seniors," Tressel said. "We've always had the best damn band in the land, now we got the best damn team in the land."
    After Maurice Clarett put the Buckeyes on top in the second overtime with a 5-yard run, a goal-line stand preserved the victory. Linebacker Cie Grant forced an errant throw from Hurricane quarterback Ken Dorsey on fourth-and-goal from the 1, and Donnie Nickey knocked the pass down as the predominantly Ohio State crowd erupted.
    Miami scored rather effortlessly in its first overtime possession as Dorsey hooked-up with Kellen Winslow for a 7-yard touchdown pass.
    Ohio State countered with probably the longest overtime possession in college football history. An 11-play drive ended in a 1-yard Craig Krenzel run. The Buckeyes twice converted on fourth downs, the first a 17-yard Krenzel to Michael Jenkins completion on fourth-and-14. A pass interference call on the second fourth down kept the game going, despite premature fireworks erupting over Sun Devil Stadium.
    It was a shocking first 30 minutes to say the least. After struggling with field position throughout the first quarter, Ohio State converted three Miami turnovers into two touchdowns and a 14-7 halftime lead.
    Just as many of the so-called "experts" predicted, Ohio State keyed on stopping Miami running back Willis McGahee to make quarterback Ken Dorsey beat them. McGahee finished the first quarter losing 2 yards on six carries, yet the Hurricanes led 7-0.
    Miami scored the game's first touchdown late in the first quarter. After taking over on their own 48, the Hurricanes drove 52 yards in five plays with Dorsey connecting with Roscoe Parrish for a 25-yard touchdown. Dorsey avoided the blitzing Nickey and found Parrish open in single coverage in Nickey's absence. Todd Sievers added the extra point.
    The Buckeyes turned the ball over on the first play of their next possession as Miami free safety Sean Taylor picked-off a tipped Krenzel desperation heave at the Hurricane 35. The miscue proved to be no more than a punt-substitute, though, as Miami was forced to punt after advancing to the Buckeye 44.
    Ohio State's average starting field position through its first four drives was its own 14-yard line. But as he had done numerous times throughout the season, Buckeye All-American punter Andy Groom single-handedly changed the field position battle with a towering 58-yard punt that Parrish was only able to return one yard to the Ohio State 13.
    Dustin Fox picked off a poorly-thrown Dorsey pass three plays later and returned it 13 yards to the Miami 37. The Buckeyes moved the ball to the Hurricane 18 before lining up for a field goal attempt. Deviating from the ultra-conservative play-calling Ohio State has shown all year, Tressel elected to fake the field goal and send the holder, Groom, scurrying for the first down. But Groom was stopped a yard short of the first down as Miami took over on its own 17.
    Fortunately for Ohio State, Dorsey was in the giving spirit once again on Miami's ensuing possession. Five plays into the drive, Andre Johnson tipped a Dorsey pass directly into the hands of Buckeye safety Michael Doss, who returned the interception 18 yards to the Miami 17.
    Ohio State didn't squander this opportunity. Krenzel spun over the goal line on fourth-and-goal from the 1 for the first Ohio State score. Mike Nugent's extra point tied the game at 7.
    Another Hurricane turnover on the first play of the next drive resulted in seven more Ohio State points. Kenny Peterson forced a Dorsey fumble at the Buckeye 14 and fellow lineman Darrion Scott recovered. Clarett put Ohio State on top two plays later on a 7-yard burst straight up the middle. Nugent's PAT made it 14-7 with 1:10 left in the half.
    An entire game's worth of momentum swings ended in three more Ohio State points midway through the third quarter. A 57-yard Krenzel-to-Chris Gamble bomb gave the Buckeyes a first-and-goal at the 6. But on the following play, Krenzel was again intercepted by Taylor, who returned the ball out of the end zone. Clarett chased Taylor down after a 30-yard gain and stole the ball away from him as he was applying the tackle. The double turnover gave the Buckeyes a first down at the Miami 28.
    After gaining just one yard on three tries, Ohio State settled for a 44-yard Nugent field goal for a 17-7 lead.
    Miami cut into the Buckeye lead late in the third quarter following a rare Groom shank. The 30-yard punt gave the Hurricanes the ball on their own 46. Three Dorsey-to-Winslow passes moved the ball to the Ohio State 9, where McGahee took it in on a sweep right. Sievers' kick pulled Miami to within three at 17-14.
    After a 10-play, 47-yard Ohio State drive took nearly five minutes off the clock, the Buckeyes came up empty-handed when the normally reliable Nugent missed from 42 yards out.
    Miami nearly drove the length of the field before a fifth turnover put an end to the drive. On third-and-8 from the Ohio State 47, Dorsey connected with Parrish for a 29-yard gain before fumbling at the Buckeye 16. Will Allen pounced on the loose ball to end the drive.
    The Buckeyes ate two more minutes off the clock before the Hurricanes forced a punt from the Ohio State 36. Parrish atoned for his previous mistake, nearly returning the Groom all the way for the score before the Buckeye punter held him up at the 36.
    Sievers' 40-yard field goal three plays later, as time expired, sent the game into overtime.
Information courtesy of William Cline



Hosted by Noguska Computer Center Serving Fostoria's computer needs since 1973!